1. In the experiment we kept a watchful eye _____ the developments and recorded every detail.
A*** in B*** at C*** for D*** on
2. There’s little chance that mankind would ________ a nuclear war.
A*** retain B*** endure C*** maintain D*** survive
3. Nuclear science be developed to benefit the people ________ harm them.
A*** more than B*** other than C*** rather than D*** better than
4. The French pianist who had been praised very highly ________ to be a great disappointment.
A*** turned up B*** turned in C*** turned out D*** turned down
5. Many difficulties have ________ as a result of the change over to a new type of fuel.
A*** risen B*** arisen C*** raised D*** arrived
6. He made such a ________ contribution to the university that they are naming one of the new buildings after him.
A*** genuine B*** minimum C*** modest D*** generous
7. In the advanced course students must take performance tests at monthly ________.
A*** gaps B*** intervals C*** length D*** distance
8. We regret to inform you that the materials you ordered are ________.
A*** out of work B*** out of stock C*** out of reach D*** out of practice
9. Our company decided to ________ the contract because a number of the conditions in it had not been met.
A*** destroy B*** resist C*** assume D*** cancel
10. She is ________ a musician than her brother.
A*** much of B*** much as C*** more of D*** more as
11. It does not alter the fact that he was the man ________ for the death of the little girl.
A*** accounting B*** guilty C*** responsible D*** obliged
12. Medical care reform has become this country’s most important public health ________.
A*** question B*** stuff C*** matter D*** issue
13. Not that John doesn’t want to help you, ________ it’s beyond his power.
A*** but that B*** for that C*** and that D*** in that
14. I used to smoke ________ but I gave it up three years ago.
A*** seriously B*** heavily C*** badly D*** severely
15. The doctor told Penny that too much ________ to the sun is bad for the skin.
A*** exposure B*** extension C*** exhibition D*** expansion
16. He decided to make further improvements on the computer’s design ________ the light of the requirements of customers.
A*** on B*** for C*** in D*** with
17. If you suspect that the illness might be serious you should not ________ going to the doctor.
A*** put off B*** hold back C*** put aside D*** hold up
18. If you want to know the train schedule, please ________ at the booking office.
A*** acquire B*** inquire C*** request D*** require
19. The coming of the railways in the 1830s ________ our society and economic life.
A*** transformed B*** transported C*** transferred D*** transmitted
20. In preparing scientific reports of laboratory experiments, a student should ________ his findings in logical order and clear language.
A*** furnish B*** propose C*** raise D*** present